Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My Improvised Tambourine

It took me a long time searching for a tambourine here, but to no avail. I was supposed to buy one in the Philippines, and I did, but unfortunately didn't bring it with me when I returned here from vacation because my luggage can only hold so much and that there was not enough space. 

And since I can't find one, the Lord gave me an idea, which was to make an improvised tambourine. I was supposed to use soda crowns - just like the ones we as children in the Philippines used to make way back in the 80's during the Christmas seasons for our carolings. But because I really wanted to make it right away, and it so happened I found something that I can use as an alternative for soda crowns which was the aluminum that holds the actual candles of the tea candle lights, I went ahead with it. I burned lots of them all at the same time. And I also used a plastic food container for the body of the tambourine which will hold the flattened aluminum circles later. 

The first thing I did was to cut the sides of the plastic container using a box cutter, big enough for the aluminums to fit in, but leaving a thin strip of plastic in the center, where the aluminum circles will be placed. Then I used a long-nose pliers to flatten some of the aluminums into thin circles and punched a hole in the middle. Then I assembled them, making sure to equalize the distribution of the aluminums, putting one unflattened aluminum with three flattened ones. And voila! My improvised tambourine is ready for our praise and worship!





Let them praise His name in the dance: let them sing praises to Him with the tambourine and harp. ~ Psalm 149:3