I really love Nebz' new topic on his blog, about his favorite lines from his favorite music, it made me think of doing my own version. It amazes me that we both share the same fondness of Tracy Chapman 's music. I even recommend him one of my favorites, Lauryn Hill and her album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill".
I have a wide range of choices in music like Rock, Country, Jazz, Latin, Blues, even Classical but my true favorites are R&B/soul and Hip-hop. From Mariah Carey, Tevin Campbell, Mary J. Blige, Brian McKnight, Tracy Chapman, Sade, Erykah Badu, Babyface to Aretha Franklin and Groups like After 7 and Atlantic Stars. Anyway, here are some of my favorite lines from my favorite songs.
- "Beware the false motives of others/ Be careful of those who pretend to be brothers/ And you never suppose it's those who are closest to you/ They say all the right things to gain their position/ Then use your kindness as their ammunition/ To shoot you down in the name of ambition, they do" From the song, "Forgive them Father" by Lauryn Hill.
- "Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while but in time.../ Nothing can harm you , not while I'm around."
- "I am not my hair, I am not this skin/ I am not your expectations, no/ I am not my hair/I am not this skin/ I am the soul that lives within" From the song, "I am not my Hair" by India Arie.
- "Heaven help the heart that lets me inside/ Heaven help the one who comes in my life/ heaven help the fool that walks through my door/ 'cause i decided right now/ I'm ready for love" From the song, "Heaven Help" by Lenny Kravitz.
- "525,600 minutes!/ 525,000 journeys to plan./ 525,600 minutes/ How do you measure the life of a woman or a man?/ In truths that she learned/ Or in times that he cried./ In bridges he burned/Or the way that she died..." From the song, "seasons of Love" (From the Musical: "RENT")
- "I am walking on the bridge/ I am over the water/ And I'm scared as hell/ But I know there's something better/ Yes I know there's something better/ Yes I know, Yes I know, Yes I know/ That I love" From the song, "Me" by Paula Cole.
- "Time to eat all your words/ Swallow your pride/ Open your eyes..." From the song, "Sowing the seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears.
- "Take me now baby here as I am/ Hold me close and try to understand/ Desire is hunger is the fire I breathe/ Love is a banquet on which we feed..." From the song, "Because the Night" by Patti Smith / 10,000 Maniacs.
- "I know we've got to part.../It really doesn't hurt me that bad/ Because you're taking me with you/ And I'm keeping you right here in my heart/ It's all because I love you..." From the song, "Call Me" by Aretha Franklin.
- "I'm no angel, with my selfish pride, but I love you more everyday/ Love is an anger, that builds up inside/ As the tears of frustration roll down my face/ Why does love always have to turn out this way... " From the song, "I Wonder Why" by Curtis Stiger.
From the song, "Not while I'm around" (From the Musical: Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street)
- "I only think of you on two occassions/ That's day and Night/ I'd go for broke if I could be with you/ Only you can make it right" From the song, "Two Occassions" by The Deele (Babyface)
- "I Love you in a place where there's no space or time/ I Love for my life you a friend of mine/ And when my life is over, remember when we were together/ We were alone and i was singing this song for you" From the song, "A Song for You" by The Carpenters, Donny Hathaway, Ray Charles.
- "When you're sure you've had enough with this life, well hang on./ Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts , sometimes." From the song "Everybody Hurts" by REM.
- "What you want might make you cry, What you need might pass you by, if you don't catch it/ And what you need ironically, will turn out what you want to be, if you just let it." From the song, "When it hurts so bad" by Lauryn Hill.